February 20, 2019

Building A Clone Of The Analogman Sunface

About a year ago I decided to take this guitar pedal thing to another level, so I learned eagle, founded a company and started making my effects look a bit more professional. That was at the same time I discovered Oshpark and realised how easy it would be to design a PCB and get it fabricated for cheap.

One of the effects that I always loved building as well as playing was the humble Fuzz Face. Easy to build, difficult to get a great sound out of and very particular about its power requirements and place in the signal chain (always first!). I had built a simple PNP germanium fuzz face for a friend (my first pedal) and a Joe Bonamassa spec PNP Fuzz Face with russian germaniums. But they needed batteries, and I didn't want to add a power jack for positive ground when that could fry my other pedals daisychaining it.

Another Fuzz Face I have always been lusting after was the Analogman Sunface. It sounded great in those Gearmanndude videos and others. And there were different versions with different transistors, but they all sounded good. Another thing I liked was the bias/sundial knob, because that would allow me to get different sounds and adjust the pedal during different ambient temperatures (germanium transistors are finicky regarding changing temperature, Hendrix apparently put his FF in the freezer prior to recording).
So I looked at the schematic (it was traced and very close to a regular Fuzz Face), and converted it to NPN to play nice with my power supply and to be able to use silicon or NPN germaniums (Which I had bought cheaply).

And I made a PCB in Eagle. Oshpark accepts Eagle files directly and sends out 3 PCBs with world wide free shipping. They are very high quality prototype boards (one can unsolder components several times without damaging the PCB itself).


Next I picked up some mojo looking components (carbon comp or 1watt metal film, axial caps) and some NPN russian germanium transistors (I bought a box of MP38A, which fall right into the goldilocks zone for Hfe, low leakage and are very decently priced) and went to work.

The other thing I did is design a front plate, which is a PCB without copper traces (it only has the writing on it), which I also designed in Eagle. I called it SUCHAHARDFUZZ, since I named my pedal company suchahardman guitar effects, a pun on my name.



The end result is a great looking and sounding fuzz. I made two and gave one to my cousin for christmas. This fuzz face is NPN and thus can use a regular power supply with other effects in a daisy-chain, as well as batteries (though my personal pedal doesn't have a battery snap anymore). I also used an opto-switch which I will present in another post soon.

3 comments:

  1. Great work, love the aesthetic as well. Could I ask you a question as to how you make the front plate? Just etch the letters right? You paint the whole thing afterwards? How do you get the plates in such funky colours while the letters are in other colours? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plates are pcbs as well. I don't etch them, i get them made just like the main pcbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll probably mod the PCB with an on-board bias VR. My breabboarded BC109 is very happy at one static voltage setting.

    ReplyDelete