February 23, 2019

Building A Clone Of The Crowther Hotcake

A friend of mine who is a musician from NZ asked me to build him a Crowther Hotcake because it would be difficult to get one in Europe.

I researched the cicuit and it turns out there are different versions of the Hotcake, which Paul Crowther has been building since the 70ies. Apparently the versions sound a little different and there are two schematics online, one of the 1977 version and one of the 2003 version.

The early version (1977) only has two knobs and a presence switch. The newer version (2003) has three knobs (Crowther turned the presence switch into a knob), but with a millenium bypass style switching circuit. I decided to combine both versions and basically make a true bypass version with three knobs. This is the schematic:


I made a PCB with Eagle but there is also a vero version over at tagboardeffects.


The final result looks like this (I made two, gave one to my friend and kept the other one):



1 comment: